Join the Lord Clan today! Sign up on the forums and register in the Recruitment Office.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join the Lord Clan today! Sign up on the forums and register in the Recruitment Office.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Iggy's Debating Society

+3
Lord~Saviour
Lord~Deathspeed
Smurfy
7 posters

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Iggy's Debating Society - Page 3 Empty Re: Iggy's Debating Society

Post  Lord~Saviour Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:15 am

wel if the polars melt i know the sollution! if we would invest into digging canals across Africa that will absorb alot of the rising water sortof speak,
this makes it so that the dryer areas are easier to farm on. improving also (hopefully) the life standards and economics in Africa. So maybe investing into that could provide a longer term sollution also for the rest of the world since that would increase the food production world wide

Lord~Saviour

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:02 am

Fusion power is such a expensive and hard to make but it would totaly be worth it. While sciencists are working on fusion power, the nuclear plants and other methods to create energy from limited resources such as oil should be replaced with methods that use renewable resources. I red one magazine and one of the ideas that are being tested is the use of waves in order to create power. The idea is similiar to the wind power as water currents move the huge turbine in the water. It is especially lucrative in the areas where tidal waves occure. The thing is that as water masses weight more than air so smaller plants product as much energy as the bigger and expensive wind powerplants.

As these kind of plants can only be used in certain coastal areas it propably wont be that revolutionaly but still a step forwards to get rid of methods using fossile fuels.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Saviour Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:35 am

using the tides isnt that much of a new idea, besides windmills there are also watermills however ive read/watched some time ago also some special about newer ways to get more energy out of the tides (underwaterplants)

Anyways water is the solution! Razz gotta reinvent the steammachines, wel some busses already drive on "water" dont know the english word for it, not sure if its only the h2 or the o Razz !!

Lord~Saviour

Number of posts : 347

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:40 am

Hydrogen fuel cells could soon be an emission free way of powering cars - only problem is it requires energy to get it from splitting water, and this energy would probably come from fossil fuels. So we need to concentrate first on increasing solar and wind energy (as well as tidal as you guys seem to like it Razz) before we can start using hydrogen on a big scale.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:44 am

hidrogene i belive, city of Munchen in Germany if im not mistaken adopet that form of energy, and city busses are all moved by Hidrogen (but i could be lieing)

in portugal there are a few Hidrogen pumps"(dont laugh of my english or you surely die) they are trying to implant the businees here already.

its a process to take the H2 out of the H20 :p~

(i bet i didnt made any sense and that i said a bunch of BS)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:47 am

No I understood what you said, the university that I'm going to is very interested in hydrogen and has set up the UK's first hydrogen fuelling station. All the campus vehicles are planned to be run off hydrogen soon.

California is also looking to build a 'hydrogen highway' with lots of refuelling stations. Wouldn't be surprised if some other cities have had some pilot schemes too Mars.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:29 am

Well the idea might not be that new but the plants are capable to actually produce quite lot of energy (yeah the underwater ones) and only now they have started to testing these plants.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:49 am

..... I seem to have heard something that we can't avoid and the fact that its already here somware.

apperently NSA found a huge object coming our way and its hot like a sun, they kept it seccret but there is evidance already, when it gets close to us and I mean close it will affect us in a number of ways

it could change our tilt casuing the tital surges and earthqacks and has that volcano at yellow stone gone off yet ? I don't think so, that is due to go off.

heard of phenix ? every 25k we line up wuth the center of our galexy, that also has a effect on us

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S0bj76389U

edit this is pretty scary stuff watch...or in 2012 you find out Wink
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Location : On bridge of the ishimuira, trying out a plasma cutter
Number of posts : 2406

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:18 am

easiest way how to get H2 is by using kips apparatus(might be wrong on typing) requires zero energy and can produce it endlessly as long as you can supply it with reagents...one of them being water other one being some powder like substance it is odd as how everyone tends to forget about it
now for cars everyone assumes you need it in liquid form thus making it below 0 by Celsius... but here is the joke we have gas engines so you can make it work even in gas form....
question....: why do you need H2 refuelling stations if all you actually need is water and gas tank with multiple sections and proper engine?
answer: to still make it profitable to ones who implement it

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:14 am

annoying thing is look what we acheaved in 100 years and yet little civil things they take ages to inplanet what gives ?
in the car industry (normal cars) VW made the bugatty 3 within what a few years ....

but yet anything to do with global warming...tehy knew about this since when 80s...90s...they could have started making new was for us to move about than rather than hits 2000 OMG global warming etc...its like your fault you nub >.>
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Hughsinkler Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:23 am

Funny how the 'scientists' in the '70s reckoned that the increased CO2 was contributing to global cooling.

However we are still coming out of the last Ice Age. The earth goes through its cycles. Its only natural. We will just have to wait and see.
Lord~Hughsinkler
Lord~Hughsinkler
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Number of posts : 2411

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:07 pm

Nature and Human beings will adapt to any changes that might come and whithin a million years we all will look like this Iggy's Debating Society - Page 3 Extraterrestre

yea
all the science fiction, and storys about alliens driffting from PLanet to planet to explore its resources, thats what the human race will become someday.

flower

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:08 am

Lord'Hughsinkler wrote:Funny how the 'scientists' in the '70s reckoned that the increased CO2 was contributing to global cooling.

However we are still coming out of the last Ice Age. The earth goes through its cycles. Its only natural. We will just have to wait and see.

Any proof for the global cooling?

And you're quite right, the Earth going through its cycles is only natural, but the human race pumping CO2 into the atmosphere at a rate many orders of magnitude greater than before most certainly isn't. That is why we must tread extremely carefully in order to avert a situation that is totally beyond our control.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Hughsinkler Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:10 pm

If we are pumping into the air, wouldnt it be making all this co2 benerarthe ground? CO is heavier than air, so it would drop straight down, onto the ground, and only minute amounts of CO2 are actually in the air. The clouds around the citys may contain co2, but these eventually disperse, and anyways, this is localised. Also, with the carbon in the atosphere, it too is heavier than air. Shouldnt we be seeing deposits of carbon everywhere? at the moment we only see this in heavily polluting factories etc, on the buildings themselves.
Lord~Hughsinkler
Lord~Hughsinkler
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Number of posts : 2411

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:38 pm

I'm not sure but if i got this right, we destroy the ozone layer by burning our fossil fuels, thus allowing the sun rays to warm the earth up more than they should, thus creating the global warming.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Apr 03, 2009 6:56 pm

all is right hugh but higher you go less the gravity and smoke is hot and while it is hot it goes up

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:30 pm

some of the **** we burn does destory our ozone layer...the ozone layer also has CO2 in it and thats the part that is casing the most problem, becasue it acts like a "glass house"
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:29 am

There seems to be a lack of scientific knowledge backing these arguments. The basic principles of global warming are as follows:

Carbon Dioxide is produced by the process of combustion, the chemical equation for which is:

C + O2 -> CO2

Carbon is burnt in oxygen (in the air) to form Carbon Dioxide.

Carbon Dioxide is what is known as a greenhouse gas - it lets heat from the sun pass through the Earth's atmosphere, but keeps the heat reflected from the Earth's surface within the atmosphere. This is similar to the glass used in greenhouses - light from the sun carries heat inside the greenhouse, heating the air inside, but the hot air cannot pass through the glass and carry the heat out, and therefore the greenhouse warms up.

Many gases, including water vapour, possess this property, but CO2 is the one most talked about since it is produced in such huge quantities from combustion.

What you are talking about Hugh is Carbon - i.e. Soot, which is unburnt coal, represented by C in the equation above, and a solid made up of small particles - not Carbon Dioxide, which is the gas causing the problem. Carbon on its own has no effect on global warming whatsoever, and carries a minimal environmental hazard since most of the organisms in the environment are made from it.

So that is the basic premise of global warming - the more CO2 we pump into the atmosphere, the harder it is for heat to escape Earth, and so the hotter it gets.

As for the Ozone layer, Carbon Dioxide does not play any part in its chemistry (the formula for ozone is O3), nor does it break it down, since it is unreactive (you breath it in and out). CFCs (Chloro-Fluoro Carbons), which used to be used as coolants in refrigerators, were the most damaging chemicals to ozone before they were banned in all countries. The protection of the ozone layer is certainly a must, but it has no effect on global warming, since it blocks out ultraviolet radiation, which destroys living tissue (sun burn is caused by UV radiation), and not infrared radiation, which is the type of radiation that carries the sensation of heat.

Hopefully that has dispelled any misplaced global warming scepticism, please feel free to ask any more questions if you're unsure about something, and I'll do my best to answer. And tell your sceptical friends all about this too, because we need all the help we can get if we're to prevent global warming.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:58 am

m8 i don't think anyone is a true skeptic to global warming....but i do think that most people simply don't give a crap
as for cycles...yes soon wer gona start cooling off... in about 50-300 years...now possobility that global warming might reach it's peak(aka finaly melting wuts left of ice on polar caps) before 50 years pass is quite much bigger
anyway wut ever we think we decide to do however we do it and however we implement it.... we wonbt win...maybe we shall prevent global warming...(maybe)...from doing it's worst but we shall lose to ones who actually rule over this world...(not thinking aliens...but hey who knows maybe them too)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:32 am

Lord'latvian wrote:m8 i don't think anyone is a true skeptic to global warming....but i do think that most people simply don't give a crap
what can we little people do anyways, its all in the hands of politicians, especially american and chinese ones since these two are the world's biggest polluters. the scenario that Iggy told us about will serve these two right, their countries will become inhabited.. our europe will stay so i dont care much tbh

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:45 am

D: what? i do care, then all the crazy ppl move to Europe, like if we dont have enough already Laughing

Flint your right there is little we can do, nevertheless, do it.

like unpluging appliances youre not using, that can really reduce the CO2 emissions, and if everybody did that the better.

separate your garbage etc.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:22 am

LOL I said CO2 does not do anything to the ozone layer lol^^

CFCs are the main cause or was not sure on the problem now, but the damage has already been done.....yay >_> well done mankind have a cookie <_<
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:20 am

still are but not main each time you use deodarant spray or air refrshner dat stuff is fulll of them...allmost allways

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 11:40 am

Lord'Deathspeed wrote:LOL I said CO2 does not do anything to the ozone layer lol^^

CFCs are the main cause or was not sure on the problem now, but the damage has already been done.....yay >_> well done mankind have a cookie <_<

well we gonna have CFc's problem for the time some corporations in Asia intend to get rich smugling them , and European ones use them to make more profit.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:36 pm

you are right in a way about unplugging appliances and doing such stuff in your house, i dont think it will help much though. if you compare the pollution caused by households and the one caused by the industry, you will see that most pollution _by far_ is caused by the industry (sorry for not having any numbers to base this on, maybe someone can provide? i remember something like 80-90% of the pollution being caused by the industry?). with these household tricks we cannot prevent the global warming, the industry has to take care about this, or better, the politicians have to tell the industry to take care about this, like what has been done in the last decades. There is this Kyoto Protocol which almost all industry nations signed, except one of the two biggest polluters - the USA.

President Barack Obama has, as yet, taken no action with the senate that would change the position of the United States towards this protocol.
(taken from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyoto_Protocol)

so yea.. i'm sorry but.. unless i really help to prevent the pollution, unless the households are causing at least 1/3 of the world pollution, there's no way i'm going to unplug my pc during the night or separate my garbage. and btw modern pc's and other gadgets don't use that much energy in stand-by.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next