Join the Lord Clan today! Sign up on the forums and register in the Recruitment Office.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Join the Lord Clan today! Sign up on the forums and register in the Recruitment Office.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Discuss your rig here

3 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Discuss your rig here Empty Discuss your rig here

Post  Guest Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:01 am

well as ya all might know i got a new pc

and i will post my rig ^^

Manufacturer:
MSI
Processor:
Intel (R) Core (TM) 2 Duo CPU E8400(@)3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~ 3.0GHz
Memory:
2046MB RAM
Hard Drive:
500 GB
Video Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Monitor:
Generic PnP Monitor
Sound Card:
Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speakers / Headphones:
Fujitsu Siemens
Keyboard:
USB Root Hub
Mouse:
USB Root Hub
Mouse Surface:
Operating System:
Windows Vista ™️ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
Motherboard:
Computer Case:
Mystique Cabinet ^ ^

Rig! Info from Xfire

Last edited by Lord'Machinegunner on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:35 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Sticky and subject editing)

Back to top Go down

Discuss your rig here Empty Re: Discuss your rig here

Post  Smurfy Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:05 am

Manufacturer: Me
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8200 @ 2.66GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.7GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Hard Drive: 680 GB Total
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
Monitor: Toshiba Regza 37" HDTV
Speakers/Headphones: Logitech 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers
Keyboard: Logitech Wave
Mouse: Speed Link Rapid Fire 3-way DPI Gaming Mouse
Mouse Surface: Wood
Operating System: Windows 7 RC1
Motherboard: Asus P35 Neo-F
Computer Case: Antec 900 Gaming Case

Smurfy
Civilian
Civilian

Number of posts : 251

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:07 am

you really wanna see mine Wink

CPU: intel Q9550 overclocked to 3.83Ghz by myself
mobo; asus tek ROG rampage formular X48 with ICH9R
memoery :OCZ reapers 1066 4Gb 5-5-5-15 timings soon to change
;graphics cards 2 sapphire tek HD4890 overclocked 920 core/1000 mem (4000)

HDDs: 3 seagte HDDs (2*250Gb and 1 500Gb)
case: coolermaster HAF 932 with aksa red neon Very Happy
:cpu cooler : titan fenir cpu cooler
keyobard/mouse: G15 blue logitech and razer copperhead mouse
:display: samung 24inch red rose
optical drives : LG BDRDVDRW and LGDVDRW DL
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Location : On bridge of the ishimuira, trying out a plasma cutter
Number of posts : 2406

Back to top Go down

Post  Smurfy Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:50 am

Lord'Deathspeed wrote:you really wanna see mine Wink

CPU: intel Q9550 overclocked to 3.83Ghz by myself
mobo; asus tek ROG rampage formular X48 with ICH9R
memoery :OCZ reapers 1066 4Gb 5-5-5-15 timings soon to change
;graphics cards 2 sapphire tek HD4890 overclocked 920 core/1000 mem (4000)

HDDs: 3 seagte HDDs (2*250Gb and 1 500Gb)
case: coolermaster HAF 932 with aksa red neon Very Happy
:cpu cooler : titan fenir cpu cooler
keyobard/mouse: G15 blue logitech and razer copperhead mouse
:display: samung 24inch red rose
optical drives : LG BDRDVDRW and LGDVDRW DL

Can your computer give birth too? If so, can i have it's children?

Smurfy
Civilian
Civilian

Number of posts : 251

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:04 am

Suspect

i didn't know they can do that Surprised

yes i have alot of old stuff....cpu is a little dead through Razz
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:00 pm

oh no another one of those "i is so cool cuz i has teh leet new copmuter and its faster then urs"...

mine is longer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:04 am

na I don't think a core 2 duo with be as fast as a quad OC'ed or not its fact.
you think yours is the best post, see if we care if its longer but tbh you should know what specs you have don't mean to say you know what it does.

i could say which I did say I have ICH9R, i know what it is thats why I put it. easy enough to find out its called wiki need no qualifiaction to do that or to understand it.

Or you can go into the intel tech doc (if you can understand them) and get techincal detials about it, but intel release them for a reason

Last edited by Lord'Deathspeed on Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:05 am

eh could we gat back to topic?

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:12 am

Lord'Machinegunner wrote:eh could we gat back to topic?

I was lol I got a new name for hte thread "fit for purpose rigs"
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~DjDarkness Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:12 pm

Hehe good one Flint.

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-MA790XT-UD4P (AM3)
Prosessor : AMD Phenom 2 X4 3,8 Ghz + Water cooling
Ram : DDR3 4 gig 1666Mhz
Gpu/s : 1 Ati HD 4890 HIS Turbo / 1 Ati HD 4890 HIS both overcloked to : Core 965 Mem : 1065
HDD : 1 terabyte Samsung spinpoint F1
CD / DVD Drive : LG random cheap thingy.
Power : Lc power 850 w Archangel
Case : A-case Monolize ( 2 x 25 cm fans in this model.
Monitor : Acer X223 Hq full hd 1920/1080 75hz
Mouse : G9 Logitech
Keyboard : Acer random kb.

My PC does everything including childbirth and self creating tax reports it allso keeps my wife happy and feed's my children.

Lord~DjDarkness

Number of posts : 476

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:34 am

there you go smurfy Wink

I can garentee mine will be ten times longer Wink not sure to go AMD/Nvida or AMD/AMD or intel/AMD or intel/Nvida :\ ethoir way I m going to mod the case.. overclock the RAM/CPU and GPU like normal, with hot swaps and all that. already saving ;D
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:58 am

CPU
Ram none
MOBO none
GPU none
display none
HDD none
CD/DVD-rom none
anything NONE

BEAT THAT

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:25 am

lol

post PS3 specs ;D

dual core IBM cell thats alot better than our CPUs ladies
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:49 pm

console CPUs are better at integer calculations but they lose big time to PC cpus when it comes to floating point. but you gamers dont need floating point anyways, go play your consoles Razz

oh and while we're at it... if the only play games on your pc and dont really work on it, a double core with a higher frequency is better than a quad core with a slightly lower frequency (e.g. double core at 3 ghz is better than quad core at 2.8 ghz).
there are no games that utilize several cores at once, so while running, the game only needs one single cpu core. and one 3 ghz core is better than one 2.8 ghz core.
now you might say "but when i play games, my cpu usage is equal over all cores, so the game actually uses several cores". yes this is true but it still doesnt mean the game uses these cores SIMULTANEOUSLY. this is due to windows trying to spread the cpu usage equally over all the cores. think of 4 cooks cooking a fried egg, cook 1 does it for 10 seconds, then stops and cook 2 proceeds for the next 10 seconds, then stops and cook 3 works for 10 seconds at so on. the process of cooking doesnt get done 4 times faster only cause 4 cooks work on it. or another nice metaphor: giving birth to a child takes 9 months, no matter how many women you employ to do it.

your next question is probably "what are double- and quad-cores then good for?" and there are two answers. first is: to run several applications simultaneously, without speed drawback. e.g. you can have several games running at the same time, or several cpu-demanding programs. which doesnt happen much in normal "gamer+websurfer" use. people that actually work on their computers appreciate this though, e.g. when i write code i have about 5 programs open and some of them eat up quite a few cpu cycles, if i only had a 1-core cpu, alt+tabbing would be a pain.
the second answer is: to run applications which are designed to make use of several cpu cores. those are mostly grafic/sound related applications, or scientific ones; they are explicitly written to make use of several cpus.

so a double-core is quite useful even for everyday gamer/websurfer use since there are always many programs running (firewall, antivirus, music player, webbrowser, torrent, messenger etc etc); these programs dont really need much cpu power but if if you only had one cpu core and would play a game, the cpu would have to alternate between calculating stuff for the game and calculating stuff for all the small programs; with 2 cores this is much more slick since one core can take care of the game while the other works for the small apps.
but a 4-core is only really useful if you either work on your computer, or use programs like audio/video encoding that explicitly use several cores.

mine is longer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:49 pm

you are right and wrong at same time... Smile damn i'm not gona try and object at the moment...but consider amount of engines(phisics(yeah bad spelling), gfx...) amount of calculations needed to be done simultaneously... and evrything else in a simple game like supreme commander... some games actualy do use more than one core at once... oops forgot to say IMHO

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:23 am

thanks latty and of course the cell and lurbee are good at "flotating points" as they are related to the graphics card core...but they also have relations to the CPU as the OS can't take that into account.

and dual core will die out as games will(if not already) start being able to use multithreads, I m going to be honest here take a look at the core I7 it has 4 physical cores but 8 threads at its HT tech enabled, so it can do 8 things at once, something like crysis which is not powered by Nvida physics will use most if not all of that, as would sup com however a game like mirrors edge would not.

take lattys example for sup com, now sup com is a lovely game if you think about what it brings.
it has path finding and likes to show were things hit and stuff, don't forget the inteilanget AI (which cheats) another one that seems to love quad cores and DDR3 is crysis again alot happing in that, I can't sepll most of the words but Im sure you can guess what is in that
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:40 am

mine is bigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:18 am

so are crysis and supcom actually made to use several cores? is this a fact or just an assumption?
if they are made to use several cores simultaneously then yes of course its an advantage of having a quad core.. im just not that much into gaming anymore and wasnt aware there is a total of 2 (wow!!) games that use multicores.

also, dont mix threads with processes, they are similar and yet different. hyperthreading doesnt mean that the different threads run at once, the cpu simply supports fast switching between the threads. i'm too drunk to go into more details now Smile

and yes of course double cores will die out sooner or later, just as quad cores will, and after that 8-cores etc etc... check Moore's law, its still in effect.. plus, Intel earns money on an increasing demand in calculating power, not on a steady demand for the same calculating power; the only way this company (or any other cpu manufacturer) can survive is to produce faster and faster cpu's, if there won't be demand for faster cpu's they will simply go bankrupt.

mine is bigger

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:04 pm

its true I use prgrams to keep an eye on my temps and stuff I have a quad core as you all should know and its loads the almost equaly l4d does alittle but not much. I can hit 4.0Ghz with mine if I treid and learned to OC mem properly, thats the only thing holding me back right now.

they are the only two games (what I know off/or own) that do actruly use all 4 of my cores consitanlty particauly in sup coms end game so to speck.

I m aware of moores law, its perdictions are acuturly out but the thoery is about right however for some reason intel brought out thier faster I7 before thier mainstream i5 Suspect can't quite understand that but meh

there are a few more partucaly those with Hovok physics or just the CPU intensive stuff, like flight sim( no I mean it.) run it with 8800GTX than run its with SLI GTX280 it will make hardly any differnces.
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:58 pm

yea m$ Flight Sim games were always those with highest sys requirements, and the lowest performance if you hit those requirements.. but m$ software is never a good example, they just write bad software which doesnt run right, or they do it on purpose to make people buy the latest hardware.. my guess is, its both..

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:48 am

well if you want a game that is exactly that, look at crysis.

badly coded, and basied aginst AMD cards, and hte game itself is actruly poo pretty much, atm I m nothing likeing game develment cos they are all just crap, there are a few of them through.

i don't know about the pro CAD apps and i hope they are coded properly I hope and thats one that could do with a quad tbh. the peices of software that promted upgrade are games normally.

my case as long as its playable as in over 25fps with eye cady AA and AF than whats the problem? okay I have the hardware to make sure it does, but one day their will be a game that makes my cards cry, onces that day comes thier will be alot more games out following it promting me to upgrade. but hold up for a second has my chipset and CPU maybe a bottleneck to those new cards
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:14 pm

Looks like i missed an argument during my trip -.-
Not many game is able to utilize quad cores to their fullest - supcom is only to SOME degree and crysis hardly at all. However i reckon almost all games released today can utilize 80-90 percents of a dual core cpu's maximum performance. Multithreaded programming is hard as you should know Flinty.
Oh, and one thing is that a larger cache give quads a benefit if the whole cache is available for all cores to fully use. With larger cache at its disposal, a single cpu core can access the data faster, and the chance for jump mispredictions should be lower in theory

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:05 am

na its just one of those quad verses dual core debaits. I don't just play games and i multi task Razz and have alot of crap runining so yeah lol vlad knows what i m like.

oh yeah for vlad and flint, thats the list so far

Grid, Last Remnant, Total Wars: Empire (after patch), Company of Heroes, COD WAW, Flight Sim 10, Mirror's Edge, Wolverine, Fallout 3, Chronicles of Riddick, World In Conflict, COD 4, sup com
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:21 am

heh i just changed my diploma dissertation topic from examining possible parallelization in mathematical calculations, with a practical example in physics (i have no clue of physics whatsoever, was my professors idea) to possible parallelization in AI or to be more exact, in tree searches, with a practical example in ... (drums)... chess/checkers!! and possibly a little poker as well Very Happy

so i'm basically going to write a checkers/chess (pretty much the same behind the scenes, chess is just slightly more work) program that runs on the cluster they have at my uni, examine how well it worked and write a report about that.

am i a gamer in heart and soul or am i a gamer in heart and soul? Very Happy

next step: Flint is going to revolutionize the gaming market and show em how to write real games that utilize todays multicore cpus to their fullest potential Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  Lord~Deathspeed Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:03 am

the english ICT education system is ----

I learnt most things from home, problem is I landed up with mac fanbois when I did diplomas Evil or Very Mad

I would have the the parlization via maths calucation would be a good one to know?

but I suppose if you know nothing about physics than give it a shot, I m more hardware based atm i wanna change that, but I m not paying to go to uni as its not specaslised or in too much depth, why I m going on the comptia A+/N+
Lord~Deathspeed
Lord~Deathspeed
Civilian
Civilian

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next